Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Priorities, Patience, and the Platform



My dad has always told me I have a one-track mind; if I’ve gotten something into my head, I can’t shake the thought until I’ve discussed it or worked for it and gotten it. Aside from the times when I have to consciously tell myself to not bring something up so I won’t annoy my friends, it’s a fantastic trait that drives me and motivates me to get things done. My weightlifting goals are such a thing. 

About 5 weeks ago, I injured myself after pushing my weights a little too hard – something that I very well knew I shouldn’t be doing but ignorantly pushed through anyway. Since then, I backed off the program I was on and found myself in a training limbo. I didn’t feel 100%, but I felt good enough to continue lifting, so I simply stayed away from the exercise that bothered me initially. What I should have done was allow myself to heal completely before continuing, but my one-track mind had me on a mission. Last week, I tried to dive headfirst back into a program. After 2 days I knew it was a problem. I saw a sports doctor, got a sports massage, and even visited a chiropractor a few times in hopes of solving my problem. The massage and chiro were both firsts for me (showing how desperate I was/am to get better).  I took 5 days off and revisited the chiropractor this morning feeling better than I had in a while, but certainly not my best.

I told the chiropractor that I really wanted to get back to my lifting, but that I feared I would return too soon and simply fall right back into the pain I was in. She advised that I take at least another week off. That was a punch in the gut. I’m currently on a 12-week program that has me peaking for a competition, and taking 2 weeks off in a 12-week program is pretty killer. I'll be honest and say that being patient indefinitely when all I want to do is sprint forward is a challenging thing for me. The bottom line, however, is that I absolutely cannot lift my best if I’m in any kind of pain or if I’m in fear of any injury. I have to get better.

Back at the house, I was slammed with past lessons.

- “The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away. Praise the name of the Lord.” – Job 1:21
- “If you are not firm in your faith, you will not be firm at all.” – Isaiah 7:9b
- “Every trial that you go through is a chance for you to learn more about God.” – Dr. Tony Evans
- An idol is anything you’ve placed before God.
- “Peace is well-being in spite of circumstance. The Lord is peace. Why do we try to make music with the conductor off stage when we know all that we can do without him is produce discord?” – Dr. Evans

Was I were I should be with the Lord? Admittedly, no. Then why should I be surprised when He moves things aside that have been prioritized so highly? Maybe He’s just waiting for me to get myself off the platform and put Him back on top of the podium where He belongs.

“God first, others second – I’m third.” 


P.S. - In Genesis, Abram and Sarah were patient for 25 years before the Lord fulfilled a promise He made them by giving them a son. I think I can do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment